Glen Eyrie is a 67-room castle listed in the National Register of Historic Places and
located just 15 minutes from the Avenue Hotel Bed & Breakfast. Constructed by General William Jackson Palmer, the founder of Colorado Springs, it first served as a dream home to the general and his wife Mary “Queen” Mellon. The rich Tudor-style architecture was enhanced over time as the castle was upgraded. It is now owned by the Navigators and serves as a delightful area attraction for visitors. Here are 4 reasons to visit Glen Eyrie in Colorado Springs, CO.
Experience the Rich Beauty & History of the Castle
- Tours—Tours will take you throughout the first and second floors of the castle and along the castle grounds. For $9 per person, you can experience 90 minutes of stories about the Palmer family, the castle architecture, and the local history of Colorado Springs. Make reservations in advance as these tours can sell-out a week ahead of time during peak seasons. (719-265-7050 or book online here)
- Tea—Tea service offerings change with the season, so whenever you decide to visit, take a look at their current selections.
- Autumn Tea—Right now, Glen Eyrie is hosting their Autumn Tea Service (September 1 – November 27, 2019). Along with the full meal, the treats and teas showcase the best of the autumn season and include delicious pastries such as pumpkin chai cheesecake tartlet, cinnamon apple scones, and maple rum pecan shortbread cookies.
- Yule Tea—This menu will be offered November 30 – January 1, 2020. Don’t miss the smoked salmon tea sandwich or the fig and walnut bruschetta. Dessert will include cranberry orange scones, peppermint pinwheel cookies, and gingerbread cheesecake tartlets.
- Bookstore—The bookstore offers materials that support the Navigator’s mission, but you’ll also find gifts, loose teas, tea service wares, and Colorado souvenirs. You may even find a holiday gift for a loved one!
- Holiday Events—Glen Eyrie hosts events throughout the year, but a few that are coming up are sure to be a delightful addition to your holiday plans.
- Madrigal Banquet—This holiday tradition has been celebrated for over 30 years and brings the 16th century to life through food, music, and other performances. There are multiple dates offered, so check their schedule for tickets.
- Acoustic Eidolon Concerts—Enjoy the sounds of guitar and cello as musicians Joe Scott and Hannah Alkire perform for their eighth holiday season. December 8 & 29
- New Year’s Eve Gala—Live music and dancing take center stage at this Glen Eyrie event. Ring in the new year with hand-crafted food and delightful entertainment. December 31
Fill Your Visit with Magic
The Avenue Hotel Bed & Breakfast is the perfect place to launch your Manitou Springs and Colorado Springs adventures. Make a day of it by visiting nearby Garden of the Gods and enjoy the splendor of the surrounding mountainside. Or stop by the mineral springs for some healing water. Glen Eyrie is just another way Colorado history comes to life when you visit the Avenue Hotel Bed & Breakfast. We’d love to host you as you immerse yourself in it. Give us a call or book online today!