Thanksgiving evokes memories in us all, many from childhood. Preparing breakfast for guests at the Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast is possible because of the hours I spent in the kitchen with my mother. My mother loved to cook and she loved to eat good food. She also taught me how to read a recipe and know how that dish would taste. The many requests for recipes brought on the cookbook. With the completion of ” Breakfast and Beyond” many of my memories have been stirred up. These are the rolls my mother always made for big holiday dinners; she had to tripled the recipe.This is from her now vintage Good Housekeeping Cookbook that has been passed down to me.
1 cup hot water
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons, butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 package dry or compressed yeast
2 tablespoon, lukewarm water
3 1/2 – 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1) Combine first 4 ingredients in large bowl. Stir until shortening is melted, salt, and sugar dissolved. Cool to lukewarm or until a little of mixture dropped on inside of wrist feels almost cool.
2) Meanwhile, sprinkle yeast in lukewarm water; let stand 5-10 minutes until thoroughly dissolved. Stir up; stir into shortening mixture.
3) Break egg into small bowl; beat well. Add to shortening mixture.
4) Next add 2 cups of flour; beat well with spoon; slowly stir in rest of flour-or enough to make a dough easy to handle-not sticky.
5) Grease top of dough with salad oil; cover tightly with waxed paper or bowl cover, and damp towel; store in refrigerator. Use dough at once, or keep 2-3 days in refrigerator. Dampen towel as it dries; punch down dough if it rises too close to top of bowl.
6) In using dough, cut off only as much as is needed, returning rest to refrigerator, covered. Shape as in ….
7) Brush rolls with melted butter or margarine; cover with towel; let rise in warm place (80-85 degrees F.) until double in bulk. (When double in bulk, rolls will be so light, you can hardly feel their weight when they are touched gently with your fingertip.)
8) Bake rolls in hot oven of 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes, or until done.
9) When done, remove rolls from oven, brush with salad oil, butter, or margarine; turn out on wire cake rack to cool. Makes about 18.
You can pre-order “Breakfast and Beyond” on-line from our website www.avenuehotelband.com . On the homepage, scroll to the bottom to the red box, inside
you will see a PayPal “Add to Cart” button .
Go ahead and click on the “Add to Cart” button. This will take you to a
You can sign into PayPal (or make
a new account) or
just fill out your credit card information.
It is a secure website.
Or call us at 719-685-1277 and order the cookbook over the phone.
If you are local you have the ability to also just stop by and pick one up and miss all of the shipping and handling fees. BOOKS AVAILABLE MID-DECEMBER
Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast