• 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
• 2 cups white sugar
• 4 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 5 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt
1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.
Yield 5 dozen
I make a frosting of powdered sugar and milk,then paint it on with a pastry brush or and artist bush. Color can be added for fun designs.
Many fond memories of my family can be evoked around the decorating of Christmas cookies and the making gingerbread houses. Enjoy the spirit of the holiday season and be joyous!
Bon appetite! Gwenn, Innkeeper Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast