Things to Do in Colorado Springs & Pikes Peak
The Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast is your base camp for fun in the Pikes Peak area. We sit back on the hillside of the surrounding mountains and at the base of Pikes Peak- America’s Mountain. We are perfectly located just off U.S. Highway 24, just west of Old Colorado City and downtown Colorado Springs.
Out our front door is the historic downtown Manitou Springs shopping district. Manitou Avenue is lined with vintage buildings, art galleries, boutiques, local eateries, and an assortment of eclectic nightlife options.
During the day, have some fun at the local Penny Arcade, one of the nation’s best collection of pinball machines, video games (retro and new), coin-operated rides, Skee-Ball, and antique arcade games. Cool down with some ice cream and stroll the unique shops of Manitou. Along the way, you can experience the fizzy flavors of the naturally occurring mineral springs.
Our favorite places:
- Manitou shops & boutiques
- The Penny Arcade
- The Mineral Springs in Manitou (there are 8 of them)
- Manitou Brewing Company
- Commonwheel Artists Co-Op
- Adams Mountain Cafe
Start your day with a hike up the Manitou Incline, or through the Garden of the Gods. Red Rock Canyon Open Space, Paul Intemann Nature Trail, Waldo Canyon, and The Broadmoor Seven Falls are within minutes of our bed and breakfast. We have trail maps available and can provide advice on what to expect on the nearby trails. You can find a list of all local hikes HERE.
The Pike National Forest offers 1,106,604 acres of natural beauty and adventure. Hike, bike, or Jeep and witness spectacular sites and wildlife along the way. Access to Rampart Reservoir, Catamount Falls Trail, and Mount Herman Trail is within an hour west of the Avenue Hotel.
More information on hiking and biking trails can be found HERE.
Explore our local attractions and be blown away by the history of the area. Find yourself winding and twisting up the Pikes Peak Highway. Enjoy a vintage theme park and winter wonderland at Santa’s Workshop: North Pole, Colorado approximately 5 miles west.
The Manitou and Pikes Peak Cog Railway is the area’s top attraction. Currently, the Cog and the Pikes Peak Summit House are both undergoing major renovations. We look forward to the grand reopening in 2021.
The sight-seeing continues at the Florissant Fossil Beds, or in the old mining town of Cripple Creek. Shop in Old Colorado City; tour the Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center; or attend a high tea at Glen Eyrie Castle.
Our favorite attractions:
- Cave of the Winds
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
- The Broadmoor Seven Falls
- Royal Gorge and Canon City
- Rocky Mountain Dinosaur Resource Center
- Magic Town in Old Colorado City
- Space Foundation Discovery Center
Other great attractions include the Miramont Castle, the Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Western Museum of Mining & Industry, Helen Hunt Falls, the US Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak Community College, Colorado College, the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (UCCS), Focus on the Family, St. Mary’s Catholic Cathedral, and the World Prayer Center.
Plan your vacation and Colorado adventures with one of our local activity outfitters. Run, jump, and soar through the air on a mountain zipline. Take a Jeep tour up the rugged terrain of Pikes Peak, or segway through the scenic views of the Garden of the Gods.
Experience an unforgettable sunrise from the great heights of a hot air balloon. Go on a guided fishing expedition, or raft the Royal Gorge. Get the thrill of a lifetime on the Terror-dactyl ride at the Cave of the Wind.
Local Activity Outfitters:
A full list of adventure and activity outfitters HERE.
Distances to Popular Attractions:
Pikes Peak Highway 5 miles
Cave of the Winds 1 mile
Ancient Cliff Dwellings 1 mile
Seven Falls 7 miles
Air Force Academy 15 miles
Garden of the Gods 1 mile
Colorado Springs College 7 miles
Ghost Town Museum 4 miles
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo 8 miles
River Runners 58 miles
Calendar of Events
- Kiwanis St. Patrick’s Dinner at MAC 6:30–8:30 PM
- Hermitage Center Log Cabin Brunch Fundraiser
- Victorian Easter Egg Hunt & High Tea Miramont Castle for reservation 719-685-1011
- Health Fair Location TBD 7 AM-12 PM
- Verne Witham Annual Pancake Breakfast 900 block of Manitou Avenue 8-11 AM
- Manitou Springs Wine Festival Memorial Park Manitou Springs 11AM-6PM
- Garden of the Gods 10 Mile Run Memorial Park 7 AM-1PM
- Huck Finn Day Schryver Park Kiwanis Club 10 AM-2PM
- Pikes Peak International Hill Climb 5069 Pikes Peak Hwy Cascade CO 4AM-4PM
- Good Ol’ Summertime Ice Cream Social & Pie Baking Contest Soda Springs Park 5:30 PM-8 PM
- Barr Trail Mountain Race Ruxton Avenue 7 AM-12 PM
- Pikes Peak Ascent Memorial Park 7 AM-12 PM
- Pikes Peak Marathon Memorial Park 7 AM-12PM
- Pikes Peak Cycling Hill Climb Unnamed Venue 6AM-10AM
- Emma’s Wake Miramont Castle 6 PM-7:20 PM reservations 719-685-1011
- Emma Crawford Coffin Races 800 block of Manitou Avenue 12 PM-3 PM
- Victorian Christmas Miramont Castle 12 PM-4 PM 719-685-1011
- Breakfast with Santa Manitou Springs City Hall 8 AM-10 AM
- Santa arrives at the Town Clock historic Manitou Springs 6PM -7PM
- Salvation Army Community Holiday Dinner Manitou Springs City Hall 11 AM-3 PM
- AdAmAn Fireworks from the Summit of Pikes Peak 9 PM & 12PM