Colorado Springs Area Attractions and Events
The Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast is the ideal home base for your next vacation. We sit on the hill on the edge of the National Historic District of Manitou Springs and out our front door your day begins with shopping or hiking. Restaurants are a short walk. The Penny Arcade is just blocks away with one of the nation’s best collections of pinball machines, video games (antique to current), coin operated rides and skeeball. The history of Manitou Springs is forever linked with the numerous natural soda springs around which it was founded. The mineral springs have attracted mankind for centuries.
The Native Americans of the Nations of the Cheyenne, Ute, Kiowa, and Arapaho, gathered peacefully to this neutral ground because of the soda mineral springs for drinking and bathing for the therapeutic effects. Influential doctors of the time wrote glowing reports of the health benefits from the mineral waters. People came from all over the world at the turn of the century hoping the mineral waters would cure TB.
The Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast has a fantastic location just off U.S. Highway 24 with the Pikes Peak Highway and the North Pole entrance approximately 5 miles west. The Florissant Fossil Beds 30 miles to the west and Cripple Creek an hour drive away. The Miramont Castle, Garden of the Gods, Cave of the Winds, and the Manitou Cliff Dwellings are local attractions. The Pike National Forest offers 1,110,482 acres and is a nature lover’s dream for fishing, hiking, rafting, and wildlife viewing opportunities! For more information http://www.manitousprings.org about attraction in the Manitou Springs and Pikes Peak region.
Explore the only mountain zoo, the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo along the way stop by Seven Falls and Helen Hunt Falls. Tour the Olympic Training Center. Shop in Old Colorado City just 2 miles. Learn our mining history at the Colorado Mining Museum. Visit places of higher education the US Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak Community College, Colorado College University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (UCCS), or Colorado Christian University. Focus on the Family, St. Mary’s Catholic Cathedral, World Prayer Center and the Navigators at Glen Eyrie are all open for tours.
Hiking and biking there are dozens of trails in the Pikes Peak area 5 – 30 minutes. We have trail maps and know many of the local trails. Start hiking the area right from the bed and breakfast. Red Rocks open space is a short drive.
Pikes Peak Cog Railway 1 mile
Pikes Peak Highway 5 miles
Cave of the Winds 1 mile
Ancient Cliff Dwellings 1 mile
Seven Falls 7 miles
Air Force Academy 15 miles
Garden of the Gods 1 mile
Colorado Springs College 7 miles
Ghost Town Museum 4 miles
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo 8 miles
River Runners 58 miles
Calendar of Events
- March Kiwanis St. Patrick’s Dinner at MAC 6:30–8:30 PM
- March “Historic Bridges of Manitou Springs” Manitou Springs Heritage Center 5-9 PM
- April Victorian Easter Egg Hunt & High Tea Miramont Castle for reservation 719-685-1011
- April 9 Health Fair Location TBD 7 AM-12 PM
- May Verne Witham Annual Pancake Breakfast 900 block of Manitou Avenue 8-11 AM
- June 6 Manitou Springs Wine Festival Memorial Park Manitou Springs 11AM-6PM
- June Garden of the Gods 10 Mile Run Memorial Park 7 AM-1PM http://www.gardentenmile.com
- June Huck Finn Day Schryver Park Kiwanis Club 10 AM-2PM
- June 28 Pikes Peak International Hill Climb 5069 pikes Peak Hwy Cascade CO 4AM-4PM
- July Good Ol’ Summertime Ice Cream Social & Pie Baking Contest Soda Springs Park 5:30 PM-8 PM
- July Barr Trail Mountain Race Ruxton Avenue 7 AM-12 PM http://www.runpikespeak.com
- August Pikes Peak Ascent Memorial Park 7 AM-12 PM
- August Pikes Peak Marathon Memorial Park 7 AM-12PM
- August Pikes Peak Cycling Hill Climb Unnamed Venue 6 AM-10 AM http://www.coscycling.com
- October Emma’s Wake Miramont Castle 6 PM-7:20 PM reservations 719-685-1011
- October Emma Crawford Coffin Races 800 block of Manitou Avenue 12 PM-3 PM
- November Victorian Christmas Miramont Castle 12 PM-4 PM 719-685-1011
- December Breakfast with Santa Manitou Springs City Hall 8 AM-10 AM
- December 24 Santa arrives at the Town Clock historic Manitou Springs 6PM -7PM
- December 25 Salvation Army Community Holiday Dinner Manitou Springs City Hall 11 AM-3 PM
- December 31 AdAmAn Fireworks from the Summit of Pikes Peak 9 PM & 12PM